This is a really easy, hands-off way to make French toast. The only catch – you really need to make it in advance, ideally the night before (if not an hour or so before cooking). It’s perfect for when you know you’ve got a busy work day coming up and could do with a treat between tasks. And I promise the five minutes preparation the night before is totally worth it!
Makes 2 slices of French toast
- 20g unsalted butter, melted
- 15g dark brown sugar, plus 1tsp for sprinkling
- two thick slices of white bread
- 50ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- frozen berries to top (optional)
- Mix together melted butter and sugar and spread on the bottom of an large oven proof dish, and lay the bread on top.
- In a separate dish mix together the milk, vanilla essense and egg. Pour the mixture on top of the bread, then sprinkle the 1tsp of sugar and the cinammon on top of that.
- After leaving overnight (or for at least an hour), cook for 30 minutes at 180°/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- If you’re topping with berries, pop them in a pan five minutes before the toast is ready, to warm through.
Don’t forget to Pin it: