This is one of my favourite family meals at the moment. It’s easy to make, cooks in just one pot, and is full of flavour. The kids absolutely love it – as prawns and chorizo are two of their favourite things. It takes slightly longer than I would normally spend on a weekday family dinner, but it’s totally worth the extra time in the kitchen!
Make in 45 minutes (25 minutes hands on time, 20 minutes cooking)
- Serves 4
- 2 of your 5 a day
- gluten free (check the chorizo)
- 1 ½ level tsp turmeric
- 1 litres (2 pints) hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 50g chorizo, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g long-grain rice
- 125g frozen prawns
- 25g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped flat-leafed parsley
- Add the tumeric to the hot chicken stock and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion, cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the red pepper and chorizo and cook for a further 5 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking for another minute.
- Add the rice into the pan and mix everything together. Pour in a third of the stock, simmer and stir until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Pour in the remaining stock and add in the prawns and peas. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve with parsley.