I love falafel, but I find the ones you buy in supermarket really dry. So while I don’t have time to make my own I’ve found a way to liven up the shop-brought stuff. It’s a really easy, hands-off recipe that you can pop in the oven to cook while you work. It’s perfect if you’re vegan, or taking part in Veganuary this year.
My kids love this too, and being very much meat eaters, it’s handy that they think that the falafels are some crazy type of meatballs!
Make in around 45 minutes (4 minutes prep, 40 minutes cooking)
- Serves 3-4
- 3 of your 5 a day
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 3 peppers, cut into large chunks
- 100g olives
- 300g falafel
- 400g passata
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- couscous to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Put the onion and peppers in a roasting tray or casserole dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add the olives, falafel and passata in with the onions and peppers and pop it back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley and couscous.
You could always go crazy and pop some halloumi on the top of this towards the end…