This is one of those bung-it-all-in-the-oven type of recipes – my favourite! You can do the (small amount of) prep, pop it in the oven and get back to work while it’s cooking. This recipe might seem a bit unusual in that you roast the gnocchi in the oven, instead of boiling it, but it actually works really well. You get a lovely crispy outside and a gooey inside.
This recipe wasn’t specifically designed for Christmas time, but it does happen to have that sort of feel about it – with the sweet butternut squash, apple-y sausage meat, red onion and sage. Yum.
Make in 45 minutes (10 minutes prep, 35 minutes cooking)
- Serves 2-3
- 2 of your 5 a day
- Dairy free
- 400g pork and apple sausage meat (squeezed out of the sausage skin)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- half a butternut squash, cubed
- 500g gnocchi
- a couple of sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- You’ll need to roasting dishes for this recipe. Add 1 tbsp oil into each and heat in the oven for a minute or two until hot.
- Add the sausage meat, red onion and butternut squash into one roasting tray, and the gnocchi into the other.
- Cook for 35 minutes until the sausage meat has browned, the butternut squash is soft and the gnocchi is a little crispy!
- Mix everything together, adding the chopped sage and serve.
For a vegetarian version you could use veggie sausage instead of the pork. Or try pine nuts and goats cheese – adding these in at the end.