This is a super quick take on an Italian classic – based on fresh tomatoes and leftover bread. You can think of it as a deconstructed tomato and mozzarella sandwich, but it tastes much better than that sounds. Try it – I’m sure it’ll soon be your go-to meal of the summer.
Make in 5 minutes
– Serves 1
– 1 of your 5 a day
- Couple of slices of stale bread
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 200g tomatoes (at room temperature), roughly chopped
- 100g mozzarella balls
- quarter of a red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of basil, roughly chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- While you’re chopping your tomatoes and onion, tear up the stale bread and place it in a bowl with the white wine vinegar, to let it soak.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl, along with the bread, not forgetting to season with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil.
There are lots of variations on this classic dish – and this is by no means the most traditional, especially as it features mozzarella. You could play around with adding in extras, such as anchovies, caper, crushed garlic, cucumber, spring onion and pepper (raw or charred).
If you love it, don’t forget to pin it…